UK Championships of Cosplay – MCM Comic Con 2019 Rules
How It Works
The MCM Comic Con Championships of Cosplay is a celebration of all pop culture. It is a craftsmanship award show with a pre-judging session and a stage display. All entries must represent a character or element from the pop culture realm.
Each entrant will submit an application to be reviewed by the MCM team – entrants may only enter one costume into the competition. If approved, accepted contestants will be contacted by the MCM Team and will advance on to the competition stage of the MCM Comic Con Championships of Cosplay. Contestants will be judged on the quality and craftsmanship of their costumes. You can enter with costumes that are also being entered in the MCM Comic Con Cosplay Masquerades and UK EuroCosplay Championships Qualifier. No store bought or commissioned costumes will be eligible to enter.
Selected contestants will be pre-judged for craftsmanship off stage and then battle it out on the Main Stage for First Place in their respective categories. Those First Place category winners will then move on to the Final round to win prizes and the title of MCM Comic Con Champion.
Contestants will provide MCM with a brief costume description for the MC to read as they cross the stage and exhibit two to three poses before exiting. No speaking or individualization of music is allowed as pre-selected music will play throughout the event. The time limit per participant on stage is approximately one minute.
Space in the MCM Comic Con Championships of Cosplay is limited and entry will be based on each applicant’s form and picture. There are no group entries allowed.
- 1st Prize
- £500 + trophy
- Two (2) weekend tickets to MCM Birmingham Comic Con November 2019
- Travel to MCM Birmingham Comic Con 2019 (arranged by MCM)
- Hotel for two (2) nights in Birmingham for MCM Birmingham Comic Con November 2019 (arranged by MCM)
- Automatic entry into the Final Round of the MCM Comic Con Championships of Cosplay at MCM Birmingham Comic Con November 2019
- 2nd Prize
- Two (2) weekend tickets to any MCM Comic Con event within 12 months
- 3rd Prize
- Two (2) weekend tickets to MCM Comic Con any MCM Comic Con event within 12 months
The MCM Championships of Cosplay Rules:
Participants in the MCM Comic Con Championships of Cosplay must adhere to the following:
- Costumes must represent an existing or recognizable character or element from the pop culture realm, including comic books, movies & television, video games, anime & manga or fantasy.
It does not include characters or elements from theatre and musicals productions; bands, musicians and drag acts; mashups of multiple characters and unofficial variants; or human form interpretations of non-human characters or ‘gijinka’
- All selected contestants are responsible for all expenses related to competing in the MCM Comic Con Championships of Cosplay including all lodging and travel to and from the convention center. All contestants must have a Badge valid on Saturday at MCM.
- A contestant may participate in the MCM Championships of Cosplay only once per year. Applicants may notregister multiple times with multiple costumes. A contestant can only enter once across all four events and only wear one costume.
- Group costumes are not allowed.
- Entrants must provide a written description that the MC will read during their appearance on stage. This may describe the details of the costume or provide a story about the character being portrayed. You may offer details about the construction process, materials, number of work hours, or anything that might impress the judges and Fans. This description is limited to 100 words. MCM reserves the right to edit introduction material for time and content.
- All accepted contestants must check in for craftsmanship judging on the contest day. Failure to appear at check-in will result in disqualification. If accepted, MCM will notify you when and where the craftsmanship judging will take place. Information will be provided to you closer to the competition. You must appear in costume at the time of your check-in.
- You must submit a front and back colour image with your application or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Electronic media (i.e. CDs) will not be accepted nor will bringing a laptop or video device (i.e. iPods) to pre-judging. No skits are allowed on stage or during judging.
- No profanity allowed on stage. That includes messages on signs or clothes. Anyone who violates this may be disqualified from the competition.
- No political or religious statements are allowed on stage or during judging. Anyone who violates this may be disqualified from the competition.
- Costumes cannot promote alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous or any particular political agenda or message.
- Costumes cannot be obscene or offensive, endorse any form of hate or hate group;
- Costume cannot defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about MCM and ReedPOP and their products, or other people, products or companies;
- Costume cannot communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which MCM and ReedPOP wishes to associate; and
- Costume cannot depict, and cannot itself, be in violation of any UK law.
- Please refrain from wearing or using any substances that may potentially interfere with another participant’s costume. If you are wearing body paint or make-up, please make sure it will not come in contact with others. Do not bring anything on stage that could damage the other costumes. Do not leave anything on stage at all.
- No nudity. All costumes should provide enough coverage to be worn in public and should be in good taste and appropriate for a family-friendly show. Gore, graphic violence or other objectionable elements may be grounds for disqualification as determined by the judges or MCM
- Contestants are responsible for their own belongings. We are unable to provide a secure area for personal items. We recommend bringing an assistant to help with belongings.
- Any participant may be disqualified from the contest by MCM for failure to observe any of these rules. All decisions made by the judges are final.
- Pre-fabricated, store-bought costumes and commissioned costumes cannot compete in the Cosplay Contest. All costumes must be made by the wearer. A portion of the costume (such as leotard, tights and shoes) may be from purchased, finished goods, but at least 60% of the costume should have been constructed by the creator of the costume. If you have made heavy alterations to a store-bought garment and wish to enter it into the construction part of the contest, you must be able to explain how you have altered it and the processes that such an endeavor entailed. Unaltered, store-bought assemblies of clothing to represent a character or “costume” are NOT allowed.
- No electrical power connections will be provided. If your costume requires power it must be part of your costume design.
- Wings, large props, or large costumes are just fine, but if your costume is over 8 feet tall, or 3 feet wide you may not fit through the doors. If possible, make wings and other parts that make your costume detachable. We have no limit on the size of costumes or props, but ask that you be safe and aware while on stage. You will be responsible for ALL damage to the stage, lighting, technical aspects or any convention property.
- All entrants must be 18 or older to compete.
- All participants who make it to prejudging will be required to sign a permission/release/waiver form to participate in the contest.
- Your costume must allow movement with limited assistance. Your costume must not impede your ability to get on and off stage. Furthermore, your costume cannot be built on stage.
- Release:By accepting a prize, each Winner agrees to release and hold harmless MCM and its direct and indirect subsidiaries, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers (if any), and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents; from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
- MCM reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond MCM’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by MCM in its sole discretion. MCM reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, MCM reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. MCM’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- Limitations of Liability:MCM is not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, typographical errors, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. If for any reason an entrant’s entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Contest, if it is possible. If the Contest, or any part of it, is discontinued for any reason, MCM, in its sole discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for the prize offered herein.
- The judge’s decision is final and will be subject to independent audit review.
- All attendees entering the event will be reviewed for any props that resemble a weapon and this item will be tagged once deemed safe to the public. All other items deemed unsafe will be confiscated by Show Management.
- Employees, staff, crew or guests of MCM Expo Ltd and ReedPOP or any associated company and their immediate families, and persons connected with the contest e.g. prize sponsors or judges and their agents are not eligible to enter the contest.
To register, fill out the form below by the stated closing date on the MCM Championships of Cosplay website. All entrants must already be registered for the convention to be eligible for the costume contest. A valid MCM Badge will be required when you check in.
If you have any questions about the MCM Comic Con Championships of Cosplay, please contact the Cosplay Team at email@example.com
Explore more attractions
Meet the people behind your favourite characters from film and TV, video games, and online personalities!
Take a stroll down the streets of Comic Village at MCM Comic Con and find your newest indie comic favourite!
Whether you're a professional cosplayer or just getting started with your first costume, Cosplay Central has all the tips, tricks, and help you could need!
Roll up, roll up because MCM Scotland Comic Con’s special guests are taking to the Main Stage ready to answer your questions! Just take a seat!
We are excited to launch an awesome NEW series of workshops, designed to help you create, learn and inspire.
Ready to get your tickets?Buy tickets